Monday, January 11, 2010

Happy New Year & a Salute to Classic 2-Ply Yarn!!

Well, I can never believe that another year has passed us by, and this is no exception.
But, alas, here we are in 2010!
I am going to start off the year with a salute to one of my favorite O~Wool yarns, the Classic 2-Ply. In the fall we made an addition to the line of four more colors, always a bonus in any fingering weight yarn, MORE colors to play with.
In this posting, I will feature a few recent pieces from our shops found on the web and recent in house creations.
I will start with a salute to a shop in Lexington, KY.
"ReBelle" posted a beautiful picture on Friday, these mittens in O~Wool Classic 2-Ply.

I have always loved the combination of Tea Rose (pale pink) & Sumac (red)... but the addition of Willow (green) adds a wonderful touch to these beautiful mittens. I always enjoy seeing the colors other people decide to put together. These colors are usually not what I would use, but are often more wonderful because they are different from what I would choose.

This pattern is available as a free PDF download, the pattern is written in both Norwegian and English, the English version coming on the same PDF, after the Norwegian!!! Don't be fooled, by thinking you cannot read the pattern (if you are looking for English). You can find the PDF link by going to ReBelle's posting about the mittens they knit, pictured above...
http://rebellegirls.blogspot.com/2010/01/vinterblomster-mittens.html

Here at O~Wool I have found it fun to make the Alice Starmore "Gloves" from 'Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting' (1990)... when we added a few new colors to the Classic 2-Ply Line in 2008, I made a single one of these to highlight the new yarns at that time.

Recently, I have been making other gloves and found that the construction of Ms. Starmore's was superior to the ones I had in process. So, I revisited them for an old high school friend in a darker, less traditional pallet... this second version is seen below-

Share your Classic 2-Ply projects!!! We would love to see them... ~Happy Knitting!

No comments: